Cooking time: 55 mins
- 225g (10oz) self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 3tbsp cocoa powder
- 225g (10oz) butter, softened
- 225g (10oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 350g (12oz) mascarpone
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 2tsp icing sugar
- 150g (5oz) raspberries, fresh or frozen (and thawed), plus extra to decorate
- 100g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken up
- Holly leaves and edible gold leaf for decorating, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170ºC/150ºC fan/gas 3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a large mixing bowl, and add the butter, the caster sugar, eggs and 3 tbsp warm water. Beat for 1 - 2 mins, using an electric hand mixer if you have one.
- Divide the mixture between 3 greased, 20cm round, shallow cake tins. Bake for 20-25 mins, until springy to the touch. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Beat 250g mascarpone with the vanilla and icing sugar. Spread half on to one cake and scatter on half the raspberries. Put another cake on top. Spread with the remaining vanilla mascarpone and add almost all the remaining berries. Put the third cake on top.
- Put the chocolate in a bowl with 2tbsp water. Stand it over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted. Remove from pan and leave to cool. Mix with the remaining mascarpone and spread on top of the cake. Decorate with raspberries, and leaves painted with gold leaf (For decoration only).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 470(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.