Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 300g pack full-fat cream cheese
- 125g icing sugar, sifted
- 175g unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 4tsp ginger paste,
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- 4tbsp Luxury lemon curd
You'll also need:
- Greaseproof paper
- 2 x 18cm sandwich tins
- Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together until smooth. Add enough lemon juice (about 2tbsp) to get a good spreading consistency. Chill until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/gas 4. Lightly grease and base line with greaseproof paper 2 x 18cm sandwich tins.
- Cream the butter, sugar, ginger paste and lemon rind together in a large bowl until pale and well combined. Gradually beat in the eggs adding a little flour after each addition if the mixture starts to curdle. Sift any remaining flour over the mixture and fold in with a large metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and level the surface with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 mins until risen golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 mins before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Peel the paper off the backs of the sponges. Spread half the cream cheese mixture over the tops of each sponge right up to the edges. Drop spoonfuls of the lemon curd randomly over the cream cheese mixture, then using a skewer or teaspoon pull through the lemon curd to create a swirled effect. Sandwich the cakes together and lift onto a serving plate.
- Scatter with grated lemon, lime and orange zest.
- For Mother’s Day: Use fresh or crystallised flowers. To make crystallised flowers simply brush the flowers with lightly beaten egg white, sprinkle with caster sugar and leave to dry on a paper lined wire rack for at least 1 hr.
- For Easter: Decorate with chocolate Easter eggs, or candy coated Easter eggs, however do this at the last minute as the colouring on the coating will start to bleed into the frosting.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 604(kcal)
- Fat 39.4g
- Saturates 12.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.