Photo: Charles Schiller
- Active Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Tart Shells
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut in small pieces
- Yolk from 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg plus yolk of 1 large egg, beaten together
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- Decoration: chocolate curls or shavings and pink candy hearts (directions follow)
- Pink Candy Hearts: Melt 1/3 cup pink candy melts (see Note) as pkg directs. Transfer to a small ziptop food bag. Seal bag; snip tip off 1 corner and pipe small hearts (see photo of tarts) on wax paper–lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until hard. Remove with a small metal spatula.
1. Have ready four 4 x 3/4-in. tart pans with removable bottoms (see Note) and a baking sheet.
2. Tart Shells: Pulse flour, sugar and cocoa in food processor to mix. Add butter; pulse until coarse crumbs form, with some butter flecks still visible. In a cup, beat egg yolk and vanilla. Pour into food processor and pulse until dough is evenly moistened and crumbly. Turn out onto work surface; squeeze together to form a dough. Gather into a ball, then divide in quarters. Press 1 portion over bottom and sides of each tart pan. Prick bottoms with a fork. Freeze 15 minutes.
3. Heat oven to 375°F. Press nonstick foil over dough in each pan, covering dough completely. Put pans on baking sheet.
4. Bake 22 minutes or until crusts are just dry and set. Carefully remove foil (if bottom crusts have puffed, gently flatten by pressing with a measuring cup). Cool.
5. Filling: Reduce oven to 275°F. Combine cream, milk, sugar and vanilla in a 1-qt microwave-safe measure or bowl. Add chocolate. Microwave on high 2 to 3 minutes until cream barely starts to simmer. Whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Cool 5 minutes; whisk in egg and yolk until blended. Pour into tart shells (1/2 cup per shell).
6. Bake 20 minutes; rotate baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes more or until custard is set around edges but still slightly jiggly in centers. Cool on wire rack to room temperature.
7. To serve: Beat cream and confectioners’ sugar until stiff, billowy peaks form when beaters are lifted. Spoon onto tarts; garnish with chocolate curls and candy hearts. Cut tarts in half.Planning Tip: Best served the day they’re made. Can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Store covered at room temperature.Note: Tart pans and candy melts are available in stores where party and cake-decorating supplies are sold.