From Country Living
- Parchment paper
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon(s) cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) sifted cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 4 cup(s) whipped cream
- To make the cake: Heat oven to 200 degrees F. Line two baking pans with parchment paper and set aside. Draw two 9-inch circles in the center of the paper and set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Stream in 1 1/4 cups sugar and continue to beat on high speed. Just as the whites reach their peaks, sprinkle in sifted cocoa and cayenne pepper and continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Spread the meringue within the circles. Bake for 3 hours, turn off oven, and let sit for 1 hour.
- Cool on the pan on a wire rack. Store in a very dry, cool place.
- Fill the layers with whipped cream and serve within 2 hours.
Tips & Techniques
Two large spoons — one to cut and the other to scoop — make serving this cake simple.