Photo: Mark Thomas
11⁄2 sticks (3⁄4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
11⁄2 cups sugar
2 tsp each baking powder and vanilla extract
4 large eggs
21⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp almond extract
1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, finely chopped
Chocolate Drizzle: 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate chips melted with 11⁄2 tsp oil
Garnish: toasted coconut
Recipe Preparation1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-in. (12-cup) bundt pan.
2. Beat butter, sugar, baking powder and vanilla in a large bowl with mixer on high 3 minutes or until fluffy.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. On low speed, beat in flour in 3 additions alternately with milk in 2 additions, just until blended, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Stir in almond extract just to combine.
4. Melt chocolate chips in a medium glass bowl in microwave as pkg directs. Cool slightly, then stir in 11⁄2 cups batter until blended.
5. Stir coconut into remaining batter. Spoon 2 cups into prepared pan. Drop spoonfuls of chocolate batter into pan, leaving spaces between each dollop. Drop spoonfuls of coconut batter between chocolate batter. Repeat, alternating batters. Run a knife through batters to marbleize.
6. Bake 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes before inverting cake on rack to cool completely.
7. Drizzle: Scrape melted chocolate into a small ziptop bag. Cut a tip off 1 corner and pipe chocolate over cake; sprinkle with toasted coconut.