For the sponge:
- Shop-bought 20-23cm (8-9in) sponge, cut in half horizontally2tbsp kirsch syrup
For the mousseline cream:
- 250ml (9fl oz) milk
- 125g (4½ oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 35g (1¼ oz) plain flour
- 125g (4½ oz) butter, softened
- About 4tbsp kirsch
For the topping:
- 400g (14oz) strawberries
- 225g (8oz) marzipan
- Green food colouring (optional)
- 55g (2oz) white chocolate, melted
- 25g (1oz) dark chocolate, melted
- Place one sponge half on a plate. Set the ring from a deep, loose-based sandwich tin over the cake. Sprinkle sponge with kirsch syrup.
- Heat milk with half the sugar until it just bubbles. Whisk eggs with the rest of the sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in flour and mix.
- Pour hot milk on to the egg mixture and stir. Pour back into the pan and heat gently, stirring, until thick. Remove from heat and leave until warm, then whisk in 55g (2oz) softened butter.
- When it has cooled, gradually whisk in the remaining butter. Beat with an electric mixer for about 5 mins or until mousseline is light. Add kirsch to taste.
- Halve half the strawberries and press against the sides of the cake ring. Pour in mousseline cream and place the other sponge half on top. Sprinkle with any remaining kirsch and leave to set in the fridge.
- Knead marzipan on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, and add a few drops of edible food colouring. Roll into a 20cm/8in diameter circle. Remove the ring and place the marzipan on top.
- Dip remaining strawberries in chocolate and put on top of marzipan. Spoon remaining white chocolate into a piping bag and write a message.
Nutritional informationGuideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
==*==*==*==> Enjoy It...^^ <==*==*==*==